Saturday, June 5, 2010

The heat and the mosquitoes

Last year I was fortunate to have gotten 5 fans of which 3 still work. They are my life and travel around the house with me :) So I guess they are more of an entourage, lol. During the day the mosquitoes are a bit better so we can open the windows without worry (most of our windows don't have screens, yet). Since this is the cooler part of spring/summer the breeze that blows is very refreshing. As the day wears on however the mosquitoes become unbearable, they are like swarms of bees and they are HUGE! They are so so big you can feel them land before they even attempt to suck your blood. It is hard to tell the difference between them and the flies sometimes :( If only there was a perfect time of year with no downsides . . .

3 comments:

Plant City Homestead said...

Janelle, I don't have screens on my windows either. I found some screen inserts at Big Lots and Walmart. They aren't as tight as a screen fitted to your window, but I think you would be able to open your windows without being eaten alive.

Tracy said...

Since our house was built in the 1800s we have the benefit of the fact it was built by people prior to air conditioning who knew the importance of air flow - thus many windows and opposite doors to allow breezes through. Since we choose to continue as our forefathers and have never installed any kind of a/c, we have learned how to get maximum use out of our fans.
You need any help with the screens? I have repaired and replaced several of ours -- so depending on what type you have or want, I might be able to help. Old fashioned wood-frame window screens aren't that hard to build.

Unknown said...

Good Thank you very much

Flowering Pear