Thursday, January 8, 2009

A few quick notes

We are working on home butchering 2 of the pigs in 2 weeks from Saturday (yes there will be pictures). I look back at how far they have come and I feel so close to them, they are so much like a puppy/toddler combo. We really want to keep one to breed but there are concerns, like the fact that these are feeder stock pigs, not breeding stock. On the other hand, these pigs are so sweet and responsive, there is no guarantee that another pig will have the same sweet temperament. We've taken pictures and plan to send them to a guy who raises pigs for his thoughts on the matter.

School is back in session and I am relieved that we were able to get back into the swing of things and get the kids where they need to be, on time :) EE started her new school and is really loving being bussed to and from. Due to budget cutbacks HG will not be attending Pre-K this semester and will wait to begin school in August. I am still trying to convince SM that he wants to go then also.

We have began an offensive strike against the mice and so far we have won several battles. Their numbers are deteriorating and that is always good. We tried the poison packets but that seemed to be more like candy than poison, very disappointing. Now we are using a combination of glue traps and snap traps, personally I was quite skeptical about the snap traps but I am really impressed with their effectiveness. Turns out Mrs Butterworth is a real treat for men and mice, lol :) The glue traps are effective to a point, they are great to catch 1-2 mice but a 3rd can really foil the plan and offer the leverage to freedom. The other key to the glue traps is to make sure there is nothing close by that can by used to add leverage, like paper or small sticks or anything they can stick in the trap. Oh yeah and they squeak really loudly for a while, frankly the snap trap seems far more humane at this point.

On the pregnancy front, I have been having a bit of problems with my energy level, heart and kidneys. Even the short walk to the parking lot would leave me winded and it felt like there was a strangle hold on my heart and kidneys. Last night dh got me some cranberry juice to try to help, and it seems to really have done the trick. There is still some tightening in the chest but my kidneys feel a lot better and my energy level is much higher, frankly, I feel a whole lot better. Praise God. I will be seeing a cardiologist in February, as a precaution.

AR is getting so big, it is amazing to me how fast these 11 years have gone. This is his final year of elementary school. He has been helping dh with the milking on evenings and is really enjoying that time. He is such a focused child in certain areas and so scatter brained in others (ie he is totally normal, lol). I am so thankful that he is the big brother, God hand picked him to lead my little band of children and I don't think I could have made a better choice.

That's all I've got for now. Tune in tomorrow when I walk you down memory lane in celebration of our wedding anniversary. :)

3 comments:

Kansas Mom said...

I feel for you on the mouse front. We have been fighting a continuous war since we moved in. What seems to work best for us is a snap trap loaded with yummy peanut butter surrounded by the sticky traps. Apparently, the mice in our neck of the woods are particularly skilled at eating all the peanut butter without setting off the traps but the sticky traps seem to get them every time. Kansas Dad checks them every morning and takes care of the casualties. He also moves the traps (as he puts them down each night in places the kids might be during the day). As far as I know, none of the traps have caught more than one in a night and there haven't been any escapes from the sticky traps (though Kansas Dad may be shielding me from the worst of it). We did have an escapee from one of those mouse hotels. It turns out if they get bumped a little, the mouse can get leverage to escape. They can also climb out of buckets, in case you were wondering.

I'll tell you something else: I have a totally different view of all those cute country mice in children's books. I almost don't want to read them to the kids anymore (but I still do).

We'll be praying for you and the baby.

Theresa said...

Happy Anniversary tomorrow!!! Good luck with the pigs. I think if I had to butcher anything, I would be a vegetarian. I look out for the movie and book too :)

Kathleen said...

Ok - how is Miss I? We heard about all the other children and I enjoyed that too.

As far as mice go - UGGGH. I absolutely cannot stand them - actually I stand a chair length above them. ;)

Sure enjoy your messages. Take care and happy anniversary to you both.