Monday, May 18, 2009
The recipe is the simmilar to the Pork Pelau. So here are the pics to help you through :)
light brown/white sugar
2 cans of pigeon peas/gandules
4 cups of rice
3-4 lbs meat (chicken, beef or pork)
Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce
coconut milk/chicken stock/water
1. Season the meat with the Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce , salt and black pepper.
2. cover the bottom of the pot with a small amount of oil, then add just enough sugar to absorb the oil. I use a medium high heat to then "brown" the sugar - (refers to the caramelization).
3. Quickly add the seasoned meat to the caramelized sugar and stir properly to coat each piece. Then cover and let the meat cook.
4. Add pigeon peas, tomatoes, habanero pepper (do not let it burst if you do not like very spicy food) and other desired veggies can be added here.
5. Add rice a few minutes later and either coconut milk or water to cook the rice. Remember that there is already liquid in the pot, so estimate and adjust the amount of liquid to be added based on rice package. (Do not use instant rice).
6. Once the rice has cooked the dish is done. Enjoy :)