Monday, July 27, 2009

Burned

Friday morning I got a call from Dh, he was frantic and told me I needed to come home right away. The toddlers had been burned (the details were sketchy) and he was not sure what to do. He'd called the nurse at the local doctor and she told him to get then in a cold bath, they were doing that when he called me. Since we only have 1 vehicle at the moment I was the only way to the hospital as he couldn't leave the others home alone if he called 911. I raced home as fast as I could, but the reality is that the soonest I could get there is an hour. When I got there I understood why he was so frantic, it was gruesome. The younger toddler had sustained the brunt of the burn and her skin had peeled and blistered. The older toddler had a darkened area on his chest and on his arm. We decided that she definitely needed to be seen immediately.

In retrospect we probably should have just headed to Wichita but instead dh scooped her up and took her the the emergency room in town. The band aid station (as I now call them) was not equipped to handle a 2nd degree burn and they sent him to Wichita. He picked us up (we're on the way) and an hour later we were there. The band aid station was useful in that they gave her some Tylenol with codeine to help with the pain. She was much more comfortable and the doctors applied several aquacels and wrapped her in gauze from waist to her knees. I thank you all for your prayers, they have both done well over the weekend and we are expecting them to heal very well.

I had been debating weather I should talk to my job about working from home and was in mid email when I got the call. I had been waffling on what I should do and by the end of the weekend it became crystal clear. Please pray that management will be receptive.

To answer the pressing question on every one's mind, the older toddler put a bottle of water in the microwave and it exploded when he took it out. We will be investing in a newer microwave with a keypad lock to prevent these kinds of accidents. But, no they are/were not allowed to use the microwave, ever.


Click here to shop on Amazon.com


Search & Win

13 comments:

Katidids said...

Oh Hon! How scary for you all! Poor babies. No matter how careful you are & how close you watch them accidents still happen. Hope it works out with work for you to work at home

Phelan said...

My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Janelle, I am so sorry. I just read this. I will be praying for their comfort and healing.

Please don't beat yourself up and don't let dear husband beat himself up either. Kids are SO QUICK to get into trouble, even when we keep our eyes on them.

Hugs and Prayers
Ren

Kristen said...

I've never read your blog, but Phelan posted about your babies accident. I'll be sending good thoughts your way. I've got kids and know how easily (and QUICKLY) they can get themselves into these situations. Hope you get good news from the management at your job.

Annette said...

One of my worst fears! My thoughts are with you and your family. *hugs*

Tracy said...

MANY PRAYERS headed your way for your family!! Oh My! I also pray that your employer will seriously consider your request to work from home, so you can be with your family.

Accidents happen no matter how careful we all are. I was burning our trash in our burn barrel about 15 years ago (country people can do that) when my son was about 6 or so, and he just came out to hand me something, tripped and fell and put his hand right on the burning barrel to catch himself. I felt so bad - his hand was so badly burned. But there was no way you can prevent accidents like that - sometimes life just happens.

Please update us with how they are doing -- and do you have enough insurance to help you out with this, or can we help?

Janelle said...

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately we do not have insurance anymore, we haven't gotten a bill yet so I haven't begun to process what it will cost.

FancyHorse said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your babies. I came here from Phelan's blog. My son was burned when he was 18 months old, scalded himself with coffee I had just poured. I hope yours will be alright, and that you'll be able to pay for it.

Kelly or Alex said...

Your family will be in our prayers. Keep in mind that children heal very fast. They will get excellent care, take advantage of every bit of help or assistance offered.
Kelly

Kelle said...

Praying for speed in healing for your poor litle burned ones.

Our Dd pulled down a curling iron onto her arm and side of her face, when she was 2 yrs old. It was 2nd degree burns and the Dr. perscribed a cream. As it healed( scabbed over) I also rubbed on vitamin E oil and today she has nary a scar.

We don't have insurance on our Dd and we're awaiting a bill too, it's scarey!

Amy said...

Oh dear so sorry to her that the babies were burned! But just remember it could have been so much worse. I am a burn survivor who was burned 18% and was in the hospital for a very long time. I know they will be alright but it is scary when babies are hurting and you feel like you can't do anything. Good quick thinking on DH part!!

Phelan said...

Look into Healthwave to help you with your medical bills.

Janelle said...

Thanks for the tip Phelan, I applied today.