Monday, March 23, 2009
The time is now :)
I haven't had a lot the last few weeks to get everything for the macaroni pie, but we were blessed to get eggs and cheddar cheese from some friends and so all I had to buy were the noodles :)
1 cup cream (milk/evaporated milk work too)
2 lbs shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer white cheddar but regular sharp cheddar works)
1 lb penne noodles
1.5 tbs butter
salt to taste
1. boil noodles till tender.
2. blend eggs, cream, cheese (use 3/4 of the cheese), butter and salt till they are fully combined and creamy.
3. mix with noodles, make sure every piece is coated with the sauce.
4. pour into a buttered pan and sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the top.
5. bake in preheated oven at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden.
NB: I would normally use a big baking pan for this but since I haven't had a chance to fix the oven, I used 3 pie pans.
For the last 2 I had stuffing left over from the thanksgiving chickens so I used some as a bottom layer (my ode to Sheppard's pie) and the other I mixed with the noodles :) Not sure I'm willing to give you my mother's stuffing recipe just yet but I'm still mulling it over :) lol.
Here are your pics of this whole process:
Here is a quick look (pre-bake) at the stuffing (this was the bottom layer) and the other is the stuffing and noodles mix. :)