Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Amused, thankful and other ponderings

I was driving to work this morning when I was forced to slow down at the outrageously slow town closest to mine, just then I noticed a very familiar sight, cows. Not just any cows, actually it was just 1 cow really and she was on the wrong side of the fence. I was so tickled by this, I am so happy that I am not the only one who's cows feel a need to walk the highway :) Had I not been running late I would have stopped and knocked on the door or something. Of course driving through small town America means there is no AT&T coverage for miles (i.e. a big town), so there was also no way to call the county sheriff. Luckily the house is just outside city limits and there are many neighbors nearby, we have no neighbors for almost 2 miles all around (I really prefer that).

On a complete other note, I was browsing craigslist and found what appeared to me to be the stanchion I desperately need to begin milking, YAY!! The price is beyond reasonable and while it is not close by, I talked to the owner and they will be coming to the city in a couple weeks and they will bring it :) That means I only have to drive an hour to get it, YAY!!!! :) This is definitely an answered prayer. Have I mentioned how much time I spend on craigslist? Let's just say, they should probably employ me. :)

I was talking to the owner of my stanchion and musing that they really never bothered to show people how expensive farm living really is on Green Acres. I mean, I've never actually seen the show but I know the concept. It only occurred to me last night that it's a good thing that guy was a lawyer or they'd have been much poorer. So here is a tip or two for those looking to make the move:
1. Never buy animals in the spring, unless you want to pay a premium. If you wait until the end of summer/fall then the prices fall dramatically as farmers don't want to have to buy as much hay. Avoid sale barn animals if you can, if not make sure you have an area that they can be quarantined for a week to 10 days.
2. Never trust existing fencing. Actually there is no fencing that I would trust even if it were new. Electric fencing is wonderful til it grounds out for some reason, then it becomes nothing more than smooth wire. Barbed wire is the equivalent of a human back scratcher, don't use it for livestock. Whatever fence you do use, check it at least twice a week, you animals are working on it daily.
3. If you wait til the end of the harvest, tractors get cheaper. Also auctions are a great place to pick up tools.

I'll think on it more and get back to you if I come up with anymore. And just so you know, I submitted my paper last night, it's not great, probably not even good, incredibly incoherent but that's not the point. :)

No comments: