Thursday, June 12, 2008

The deal is not quite done :(

Imagine our surprise to realise that the 2005 Ford Focus does not have air conditioning as a standard feature. Well, that was not going to fly, that's a huge omission in my book. My sis (the finance person who helped give them a hard time - thanks sis :)), had found a 2007 Ford Focus that they were advertising on Cars.com for a little more than the 2005. I called and let the agent (guy who left early well before the deal was done) know that I would gladly be taking the 2007 instead :) His boss (guy who did most of the work to get the deal through) was out today and is a manager so he (boss) called and asked if I could do it tomorrow when he was back. We went back and forth for a bit but finally agreed. On a complete side note DH did receive his Ford hat with Les Eck and the GM (wacky guy from the commercials)signatures. While Mel Hambelton Ford takes a good game I can say that Rusty Eck Ford is true to their word, they will do whatever it takes to make the deal. Now, they have very different tactics and frankly Rusty's stereotypical used car salesman routine is a bit annoying. Most people don't want that level of hassle. So here are my suggestions:
1. Sign nothing.
2. Make them an offer and then let them counter
3. Reject the counter
4. Prepare to leave
5. Steps 2,3 and 4 can be recurring
6. If at any point you feel uncomfortable, walk out and sleep on it.
7. As my sis reminds me: No matter how good the deal is, it'll be there tomorrow.
8. Don't take delivery until you are certain of all the details and fine print.
Number 8 is very important as there is no "cooling off period" in Kansas :( Anyway, I will let you know how it all turns out tomorrow :) I have pics too. Stay tuned.

No comments: