Friday, July 4, 2008

Fourth of July



Today is the day of celebration and remembering. We remember those who "supposedly" on this historic day signed the declaration of independence to make us a free nation. Since I did not grow up here this was assumed to be true and never questioned. This year as I sat at my desk attempting to look busy I discovered (the wonderful power of the Internet and their news headlines) that the declaration was actually first signed on July 2nd* and the rest of the signatures continued to trickle in through August. However the following year everyone forgot until July 3rd and at that point began making arrangements to celebrate the historic occasion and we've celebrated it ever since on July 4th.

I wonder if that would work with children or a spouse? You forget their day and so you forever celebrate it on another. hmmm. Personally I would not be pleased but luckily independence is not a woman and therefore there is not issue. Though it makes you wonder if they are teaching this historical inaccuracy in schools around the country. Yet another reason to homeschool.

Another wonderful discovery this year was the origins of our patriotic songs, you can read the Livescience article here.

Well these are just a few of my thoughts and musing on this fourth of July.

Happy Birthday Emily, you will never be forgotten.





*In 1776, John Adams declared, "The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore." Read More Here (oh and Have I mentioned how much I love Lincoln?)

No comments: