Friday, July 25, 2008

Save a horse, Ride a cowboy.

Let me start by saying, good bye to my more conservative readers, you'll be missed. No really I do value you, I promise tomorrow we'll be past this post and back to our regularly featured broadcast :) Just kidding, it won't be that bad.

I was driving to work this morning and this was the song that came on, I was amused because I was listening to my regular country music station. I know you're thinking, they're a country act what's the big deal. Well, as I really listened to the song the first thing that hit me is how NOT country it is. Aside from the reference to a cowboy, there really is no other really country defining moment. Frankly they would be better to be considered something in the rock genre.

The next song to come on was so pop I felt like I was back in the 80's and Whitney Houston was still on top with "How will I know". Don't get me wrong I enjoy the fact that country has began to experiment with different types of music but if you listen long enough you start to wonder if this is country or just the new music junk drawer.

Why else would a hack (pardon my language) like Jessica Simpson attempt to break into country. I can explain, she has no talent and she's hoping no one will notice with the pop type crap she usually does that seems to be the new "country" trend.

Good ole George Straight would turn in his grave, oh wait, he's still alive. What is he like 200 now. I love George Straight, he is a great singer, the last of his breed to really make good music. Anyway, I'm off my soap box now. Glad I got that off my chest. :)

5 comments:

@TiffanyRom said...

Welcome to the SITStahood!!

skj said...

If I want to hear country I play Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Bob Wills, etc. What passes for country now is redneck rock. I once went to a Riders in the Sky concert, and Too Slim put it very well: "Riders in the Sky do not do country music, because in modern country music the melody is carried by the drum."

Janelle said...

skj that is a great way of putting it. I love Hank William and Patsy Cline, the kind of music they made is timeless.

Country Girl said...

Hi. I just commented on the post below and just wanted to let you know that I had a really difficult time commenting. Your site kept jumping to the google search page before I could hit the stop button. It usually means something is loaded onto your page that wacks out and I saw you had a poll here. Maybe that's it, I don't know. I seem to have problems when I go onto Blogger sites that have polls. Used to think it was my old dial-up, but I've got Verizon Fios now, so I am convinced it's Blogger. Just puttin' it out there!

Janelle said...

Thanks Country girl and welcome. Is anyone else having trouble commenting?